DIY Importing a Website in to your Rochen account
Rochen does offer free website migration services, however this article will outline how you can import a website using Softaculous via cPanel.
Just as you did when creating your staging site, log in to your cPanel account and head to the “Softaculous” section. Click on any application.
Beginning the Import Process
For this demonstration we’re going to import a WordPress script from another server.
Click on the Import Tab on the Software page in the Softaculous panel, as shown below
Then choose the “From Remote Server” Tab on the Import page.
Now it’s time to fill in the domain and FTP details of the Source Installation including details such as protocol, domain name, directory, database name, etc for the Destination Installation and click on Import button.
The Field Details Explained
- Domain Name: The domain name of the installation that you are importing in. Do not include http:// or https:// or www., etc. The domain should just be, eg – yourdomain.com
- Server Host: This field is optional. You could specify the server host if your domain name is not the same as your server host. An example would be: ftp.mydomain.com. In most cases you can leave this field blank as the server host will be the same as the domain name. If you aren’t sure, please open a ticket to ask.
- Protocol: Choose the protocol that you would like to use. This will depend on what is supported with your login details. We are going to use FTP for this example, though you may want to explore more secure options such as SSH.
- Port: This is the port that will be used during the connection the domain on the other server. The default port for FTP is port 21. For SSH it is 22.
- Username: This is the username that you use to connect to your server. Since your Rochen account uses cPanel, you would enter your cPanel username here.
- Password: This is the password for the user that you provided above, for connecting to your server. You can find your username and password via your My Rochen customer account.
- Path: This is the relative path to your domain on the other server. Here are some examples:
- When you login with your FTP details, if you see public_html or htdocs or www directory then your FTP Path will be /public_html or /htdocs or /www, respectively.
- When you login with your FTP details if you directly land in the web root of your domain then your FTP Path will be /
- If you are using an addon domain or sub domain please provide the path to your addon domain or sub domain respectively.
- Installation Directory: This is the directory name to indicate where the installation is to be imported resides on its current server. Keep this blank if the installation is in /public_html
Destination Details Explained
- Choose Protocol : Choose the protocol that is supported by your server where the installation is to be imported.
- Choose Domain : This is the domain name where the installation is to be imported to. Example : destinationdomain.com
- In Directory (Optional) : Specify the directory name where you want the installation to be imported to. Example : dev. Keep this field blank if you want your installation to be imported to your root /public_html directory.
Advanced Options Explained
- Database Name: This is the name for the database that you want the source installation to be imported to. By default, Softaculous will choose a random name for you. You can change this here, if you want to.
Finalizing the Import
Now that you have filled out all of the fields, and have selected your preferred options, you’re ready to import. Click on the blue “Import” button.
Waiting for the Import to Complete
If there are any errors in the field details completed, or options selected, the import will fail. You will see an error on your screen describing the issue:
You’ll want to go back and correct any errors, and they try again. If you are unable to resolve the errors, please open a technical support ticket so that we can assist you in ensuring that the details provided are accurate.
If there are no errors, the Import Process will continue in the background. You will receive emails to notify you of the start and finish of the Import Process.
You can view the status of your Import, anytime, by click on the Task List icon in the Softaculous top menu bar:
You can begin using and managing the imported site once the progress bar has reached 100% complete, and you see the message, “Import Completed”.