DIY Importing a Website into your Rochen account
Rochen does offer free website migration services. However, this article will outline how you can import a website using Softaculous via cPanel.
Just as you did when creating your staging site, log in to your cPanel account and head to the “Softaculous” section. Click on any application.
Beginning the Import Process
For this demonstration we’re going to import a WordPress script from another server.
Click on the Import Tab on the Software page in the Softaculous panel, as shown below.
Then choose the “From Remote Server” Tab on the Import page.
Now it’s time to fill in the domain and FTP details of the Source Installation, including protocol, domain name, directory, database name, etc for the Destination Installation and click on the Import button.
The Field Details Explained
- Domain Name: The domain name of the installation you are importing in. Do not include HTTP:// or HTTPS:// or www., etc. The domain should be, e.g. – yourdomain.com
- Server Host: This field is optional. You could specify the server host if your domain name is not the same as your server host. An example would be ftp.mydomain.com. You can leave this field blank in most cases as the server host will be the same as the domain name. If you aren’t sure, please open a ticket to ask.
- Protocol: Choose the protocol that you would like to use. This will depend on what is supported with your login details. We will use FTP for this example, though you may want to explore more secure options such as SSH.
- Port: This is the port used during the connection to the domain on the other server. The default port for FTP is port 21. For SSH, it is 22.
- Username: This is the username you use to connect to your server. Since your Rochen account uses cPanel, you would enter your cPanel username.
- Password: This is the password for the user you provided above to connect to your server. You can find your username and password via your My Rochen customer account.
- Path: This is the relative path to your domain on the other server. Here are some examples:
- When you log in with your FTP details, if you see public_html or htdocs or www directory, your FTP Path will be /public_html or /htdocs or /www, respectively.
- When you login with your FTP details if you directly land in the web root of your domain then your FTP Path will be /
- If you are using an addon domain or subdomain please provide the path to your addon domain or subdomain.
- Installation Directory: The directory name indicates where the imported installation will reside on its current server. Keep this blank if the installation is in /public_html
Destination Details Explained
- Choose Protocol : Choose the protocol supported by your server where the installation is to be imported.
- Choose Domain : This is the domain name from which the installation is to be imported. Example : destinationdomain.com
- In Directory (Optional) : Specify the directory name where you want the installation to be imported to. Example : dev. Keep this field blank if you want your installation to be imported to your root /public_html directory.
Advanced Options Explained
- Database Name: This is the name of the database that you want the source installation to be imported to. By default, Softaculous will choose a random name for you. You can change this here if you want to.
Finalizing the Import
Now that you have filled out all of the fields, and have selected your preferred options, you’re ready to import. Click on the blue Import button.
Waiting for the Import to Complete
If there are any errors in the field details completed, or options selected, the import will fail. You will see an error on your screen describing the issue:
You’ll want to go back and correct any errors, and then try again. If you are unable to resolve the errors, please open a technical support ticket so that we can assist you in ensuring that the details provided are accurate.
If there are no errors, the Import Process will continue in the background. You will receive emails to notify you of the start and finish of the Import Process.
You can view the status of your Import, anytime, by clicking on the Task List icon in the Softaculous top menu bar:
You can begin using and managing the imported site once the progress bar has reached 100% complete, and you see the message, Import Completed.